Monday, December 16, 2013

A Sunday in Korea

So yesterday I woke up bright and early, 8am on a Sunday is early for me.  Collin is home and can't sleep in due to his internal clock so he gets Audrey when she wakes. Anyway I woke up with a ton of idea's for things to do.  Including a visit to the Onnuri Church.  However, Collin explained that the morning service is pretty far away and he would rather we go to the 4pm service which is much closer.  I love the family we have at the other church.  The people there are amazing but Collin and I just are not getting fed the way we need to fed, so we are looking into other options.  Not for certain that we will leave our Church family that we currently have but I need to know what is out there and so this past Sunday was the first step. I just feel that God is leading me in a different directions.
With the decision of going to the afternoon service I had to make a new plan for the day.
First we would head onto post.  I had to Western Union some money to my mom from the Love for Lily fundraiser.  I had to pull money from an ATM for a Christmas gift that I am not able to purchase until a bit later and we pulled out WON to go back to the Christmas store!  Before we left post though I was for sure to go get a cupcake from the FRG bake sale.  A friend of mine makes the best cupcakes in the world and I wasn't about to miss out.
Once we left post Collin asked if we could just drive to the Christmas store.  I sucked it up and agreed.  Driving there of course made me nauseous as almost every drive does in Korea with the constant stop and go. I don't know why my car sickness seems to be getting worse and worse.  All things do come to an end though and we were pulling in to the bus terminal.  all three of us got out of the car and walking in the elevator.  The Christmas store is on the 3rd floor!  Anything you could want for Christmas decor is on that floor, just past the floral department.  As we reached the 3rd floor we noticed it was quiet and kind of dark.  When we turned the corner there was a man that spoke to Collin.  Even though I don't understand the language, I do understand when someone is trying to tell you that they are not opened.  I could even understand it more when my husband says REALLY in Korean.  I assumed Collin was asking a question when I was sure I heard the man say in English 12.  I smiled and looked at Collin and said, "12?  Well we will just come back that is only 50 minutes from not."  In my head I figured we would get an early lunch and then head back.  Then I heard that Korean word again for REALLY as my husband was conversing more........ Uh oh Thats not a good sound. I thought to myself and I was right.  As the elevator doors closed Collin announced that they were not opening that night until Midnight!  12am :(  Extremely upset I refused to believe the man.  As we left Collin conversed with the Gate Guy who charged us 2.00 for our 5 minutes of parking.  Then I heard that word again REALLY?  WOW!  ugh what now.  Well the parking guard confirmed it.  They were not opening until midnight.  My thoughts were  I got car sick for this, and we should have just went to morning service, and stupid Koreans!  Why would you not open until MIDNIGHT!  Ok so if you ask Collin they were not just my thoughts.

Upset we figured we would try to save our late morning/afternoon.  Let's take Audrey to play at a large indoor playground.  Once parking in an underground parking garage we walking in to find the elevators not working.  After entering a LONG dark hallway we came to the conclusion that they were not opened.  "You have got to be kidding me!"  I barked at Collin.  My day was not going as planned at all.  We finally ran into a woman at the end of the hallway as we were leaving and Collin asked her about it.  The woman (again in Korean) spoke quickly to Collin looking very annoyed.  Collin replied and I heard my favorite Korean word again but in a very confused tone REALLY?
I grumbled many upsetting things and I asked Collin why he seemed confused.  He said the woman told him they were closed for Holiday and when he asked what Holiday she said Sunday.  The confused tone was because she was calling Sunday a Holiday.

Well well, my Sunday has been thrown upside down.  Collin mentioned about going to Iteawan but to be honest I was too annoyed and didn't want to deal with Ajumma or anyone else on a crowded subway and it was too cold to walk with the baby.  Ajumma is the term for an old woman.  Not just old Korean woman though.  These ladies have special powers, they get their way, they are allowed to be rude, and if they want to put their purses and bags on a baby changing station right as you go to change your baby they will.  Thing about it though you can't say anything to them.  They are old and believe they are right and you are wrong no matter what.  I have only met one nice old Korean woman before.  So we went home and watched some tv and let Audrey fall sound asleep.
She woke just in time though.  330pm was fast approaching and we had to get to church.  I was not loving the afternoon/early evening service but was willing to give it a try.  It was a lot further than we expected and I am so glad we ended up driving the whole way instead of walking from post.  Parking was horrible and once parked I wasn't sure we were even on the same block as the church anymore.  Once we got inside an usher quickly came up to us to help find us seats (since we were late) but stopped and suggested that we go to the family room.  "ALL babies go to the family room" he said and another usher came up beside him and said "I will show him the way, you can stay here and go check on her if you want" he said looking at me.  I didn't say anything I wasn't about to be separated in an area I have never been before.  Sure enough like the past 2 churches we attended it was a family room.  I am quickly thinking that there isn't a church that exists that has a nursery like back in the states.  Well an English speaking one I guess.  It was very nice though.  4 big mats were laid out through the room and buckets of toys were laying on each mat.  There were little kid tables that lined the room and big brown mats for the parents to sit on.  In the far lower left corner there was a partisan (if that is the right word) that could block off a couch for mom's who needed to nurse or possibly even need to change a diaper.  In the front of the room there was a large TV in the wall so that the parents and children (ages 0-4) could participate in praise and worship and the sermon.  The only draw back to all this is paying attention to the sermon and not my daughter.  The kids were all pretty quiet and if you could get your eyes on the tv and not the kids it was easy to hear the pastor and follow him.  However, that was the issue.  Not being distracted by the children.  I followed maybe half of the sermon, maybe a little less, but I believe if I could follow it better I would enjoy the sermon.  It seemed to be the speed I was looking for.  After expressing my concern to Collin he has offered to stay with Audrey while I go to the sanctuary and listen, but that does not sit well with me.  I don't want to go to church "alone"  I need my husband beside me.  I want to grow together.  This is one of the reasons we were seeking new possibilities.  I need to know that my husband is able to grow with me, that he can continue to lead our family.  I guess I could give him a run down of the sermon on the way home or even after we are home but it's just not the same.  We figured just like in the past we can switch off Sundays to be with Audrey.  Each get the chance to see if we can be fed at this church but it is just so frustrating to me.  My mom suggested I see about starting a nursery but you generally have to become a member before you can even attempt anything like that and with only 2 sermons out of the month I don't know how quickly we will be able determine if this is where we want to grow.  I know God will show us the way, he will let us know if it is time to settle or not but I am just feeling very frustrated in the mean time.  It has been a little over 3 months and I was really hoping to find a church we were 100% ready to call home already.  I miss the family of the church we were at just last week but being a family of the Church we must all understand that when God is telling us we need more then we must move and act on that.
I have emailed a Church on post to see if they by any chance have a nursery.  If they do we will more than likely attend this upcoming Sunday.  If they do not we still might give it a go.  Just trying to listen and follow the direction God is giving to us.

Well it is getting late.  Soon to be 11pm.  Everyone is sleeping and my eyes are getting tired.  Have an amazing week everyone!  Oh yeah we got snow this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment