Sunday, May 11, 2014

So much to tell

HELLO EVERYBODY AND A VERY HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL THE MOMMY'S OUT THERE!!!!!!!!
So I really wanted to get this post out last week, obviously that did not happen.  However,  now I am back in my zone!  My mothers day gift, for those who haven't seen, was patio furniture.  No I don't have a patio but I have a closed in balcony and I love coming out here to do my work or just to relax.  There is nothing like the window open on a spring/fall early morning or night and hearing the city traffic and the city life either wake up or slow down.  I love it and though I miss the simpleness of living in a town where I can drive anywhere and everywhere I am totally going to miss this when I leave.  I love it and it makes me calm myself on bad days and makes me a happy person! Plus now when I get back to the states I have a patio furniture that seats 2! 

 Daddy's little helper!


So last Friday we had our Culture night dinner!  It was free and fun!  It started out that they had my husband down as PFC Shorey (he is not a Private First Class) and they did not have me on the list.  So that was a little annoying but they got us seated and we ended up sitting with some young enlisted members and so Collin was in  his element.  He felt like he was able to mentor a little bit with every question they asked him.  There wasn't all the toasts associated with the military balls so that was nice!  The entertainment was pretty good too.  We had a performance by a University and they did some traditional Korean routines to traditional Korean music.  During dinner they also had a couple Oprah like singers which were pretty amazing a man and a woman and they traded off every other song.  The food was fantastic, and again free and really who doesn't like free!  It was so good that I ate shrimp!  I don't eat shrimp, anyone who knows me knows I don't eat anything that used to live in the water.  I thought it was orange glaze chicken but it wasn't... I won't be eating shrimp anytime soon but truth be told it wasn't half bad.  They had amazing prizes as well that consisted of, bikes, i pads, and CARS!  Yes they even gave away 2 cars, and no we didn't win.  All in all it was a fantastic night and did I mention it was free!  Korea's know how to do it right!  They are fantastic hosts!


This week has been fun.  We went to the Children's zoo and that is free (can you tell I love free!)  The zoo was not that great but for free it was super!  The elephant and the polar bear both seemed to have something wrong with them (a messed up ear and a crooked nose) but we are thinking there is a reason those they were at the free zoo.  They also have an amusement park there, a small one but I was still excited.  However as walking towards the entrance we found it closed which made me sad, but they had a few playgrounds and it was a fun day.  We had some friends join us and things are always better with friends.
 A toy that she still can't figure out how to walk with

 Watching the seals
A water show

Another thing that Koreans do well is celebrating holidays!  When I came here September of 2013 they were celebrating Chusok, basically Thanksgiving.  Well they got 3 full days off of work.  I am talking restaurants shut down, stores closed down, heck I couldn't even activate my cell phone until Monday!  We got here on a Tuesday night and I got my phone on Wednesday!  Well this past week was Children's Day, Buddha's Birthday, and Parents day and so when most people went home last Friday from work they didn't return until Wednesday or Thursday.  A friend wanted to take me and another friend to a Korean restaurant on Monday, Children's day but they were all shut down!  We ended up with pizza. CHILDREN'S DAY!  THEY GET THE DAY OFF FOR CHILDREN'S DAY! 
However in light of Buddha's birthday we did go to the Lateran festival!   As always it was absolutely amazing and I always find it interesting when I get a peak at another religion or get to learn a bit about it.  I got to get a good peak inside the Buddhist temple and found it fascinating.  So many questions pop in my head, I even saw many participants of the Buddhist faith bring a monk many gifts.  To see these followers bow and become so humble standing in front of this man and give him bags of treasures made me wonder, what could possibly be in those bags?!  I mean really what gift could you possible wrap up to give to someone so mighty that you must bow to him? 

 This guy actually created the Korean language
A temple lantern

 Inside the temple
 The monk carrying out some of his gifts





Let's see what else has taken place..... oh yes!  Many of you know we got our list for new duty stations.  Well it was a horrible list and we are not looking forward to anywhere the military wants to send us next however....... I WILL MAKE THE MOST OUT OF WHEREVER THEY SEND US!  That being said, and yes my parents and immediate family are aware, we very well could be staying in Korea until early 2016.  We have not gotten orders yet and we have not been directly told yet but that is now a very real possibility.  Prior to finding this out I have been wanting a bigger apartment.  I have been wanting a bigger apartment especially now that I have met people and everyone seems to have bigger and better.  Collin got this apartment before we moved here and so many people say they were trying to get into our specific apartments.  Yes we are in an amazing location but we have some things lacking for us.  First off we have have a pretty small 3 bedroom apartment.  Just not enough room for stuff.  I do think that it is because I moved from such a big house.  However, I have been to at least 4 other apartments and all of them are bigger or newer.  My second issue is play area's for Audrey.  It seems like everyone else has a lot more and a lot better playgrounds and inside play rooms in and around their complex.  In fact a buddy of our who just moved here got a 4 bedroom in a gated community and very new and nice.  The down fall is that his location is not as great as ours and his dryer is in his kitchen. I believe that when looking out his living room window I see a splash pad for kids 10 floors down.  Ummmm Audrey needs that!!!!  Needless to say Collin heard about how great his apartment was compared to ours the majority of the time.  Although on the way home to our apartment I admitted that where we live is just fine and the location is great.  I told him that I realize the grass is always greener on the other side and no matter where I lived somewhere else would always have something more.  So for fun Collin asked our realtor if they had anything bigger but in the same area.  In less than 24 hours we were looking at a bigger nicer apartment.  Best part about it, is that it is in the same exact building and one floor below us!  So I get all the wonderful amenities that I already have, close to base, close to the subway, several convenient stores right outside the apartment doors if we ever need something in a hurry, a taxi stand just around the corner, and plenty of coffee shops connect to the building.  Oh yeah and that huge burger I took a picture of that lasted me 2 meals..... just a crossed the street hahaha!  I get to keep all that and get a bigger nicer apartment by the end of May! The only thing that makes me sad is the play area's for Audrey.  That is what friends are for right?  Our buddy who lives in the really nice apartment but not so great location.... I think he will get plenty of company this summer :)
The insanely huge burger!

Well I appreciate you stopping by today!  I must get my butt to bed now as I have church in the morning.  For any of you who are my wonderful Scentsy customers I am sorry for not getting this months items out.  I usually have it out already but this month has been busy!
I hope everyone has a great weekend and a very HAPPY MOTHERS DAY if you are indeed a mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment