Friday, November 21, 2014

Vacation part 1

I need to have a headset to talk directly to my blog page so that it doesn't take me so long to find the time to sit down and type.  We all made it back safely and all of our flights were fine... no crazy incident like last time, (see if you are unaware of that situation).  On our way from Houston to Tokyo though we did realize that we had a sick child on our hands.  Not the, I am sick and going to be lethargic and sleep the whole time, but more like I am irritated feeling and going to let you know about it, type of sick.  Audrey didn't sleep for more than 3 hours on the flight.  She did however sleep the 2 hours and 20 minutes from Tokyo to Seoul, in fact we all did.

Our visit was wonderful.  We got into PHX around 6pm and headed straight for the Hotel, however we had a heck of a time getting our rental car.  There was a bit of a line and it was not an easy transaction.  I must not of figured in the tax correctly because whenever I get a rental car I always set aside a card specifically for that and nothing else.  I was a dollar and some change off :(  So when getting ready to just use our bank account instead they informed Collin that any instate drivers license could only use a credit card.  Since Collin still has a AZ license he couldn't use the debit card.  So then we changed it so I would be the main driver, since I have a Colorado DL.  This of course entailed them going back through the entire system of input and deleting Collin's information and inserting mine.  After about another 20 minutes we had the keys.  We walked out to the rental cars and we were greeted with two gentlemen carrying bottles of water for us and walking us to our car.  After the initial inspection and again another lecture on the safety of buying additional insurance we were finally in the car.  Next stop was the hotel and once we got there it wasn't long before we were all asleep.  I thought we were in for some serious rest but Audrey had other plans and choose to wake up at 3am.  So her and I had an adventure walking around the hotel early in the morning, going into the hotel lobby and watching ABC's on the computer, going outside to run around some more and then playing on the steps leading from the first floor up to the top floor.  I even got her a bath and a little after 6 begged her to fall back asleep.  Somewhere around 630 we were both sleeping again.  The reason for our PHX visit was for my youngest step sons wedding.  The Mrs. had already been to Korea, but it was great to see her again. It was also great to finally meet my daughter in law from my oldest other step sons marriage.  I never know how I will be viewed because of being closer to their ages but I LOVE both of my daughter in laws.  The wedding was nice and although I missed the ceremony due to Audrey choosing to have a screaming fit 5 minutes prior to the beautiful bride walking down to meet her husband.  The wedding was very nice and the weekend was, well, frankly a whirlwind of events and to be honest most was a blur.  However, it was great for Collin to be able to spend so much time with his kids.  It really was the highlight for him.  The only thing I wish that had happened was I was hoping to see my step granddaughter.  I knew the boys wouldn't make it I just didn't know the little princess would not.
While there we got to stay with some very loving friends.  We had great conversation and an awesome time with them the whole way around.  I wish we could have spent more time with them but it was a very short weekend with the family and time was not on our side.  Sunday came and we had nothing to do and we discussed the zoo or something fun but when we woke up we quickly realized that the time zones had kicked in, and we were dragging.  So that Sunday we laid around, watched some football, a movie, napped, and just hung out.  Thank you friends for all your hospitality and helping out with Audrey.

Monday morning came and we were off to see Nana and Grandpa Bill.  Orbitz had sent me an email saying that our flight had changed to a 5 hour layover in Dallas and we would not get into Killeen until after 10pm at night.  This was very unexceptable so Collin spent easily an hour and a half on the phone getting it all worked out.  We finally got an early departure from Dallas and our ETA for Killeen was now just after 7.  This was better than the 10 but not as good as our origional flight.  Since Nana and Grandpa Bill wouldn't be able to pick us up that late I started searching for a rental car.  This worked out in the end much smoother, however, it was difficult getting the car at first.  Knowing that Killeen is so small I realized I should get the car as soon as possible.  When I called from the house, I was told by Enterprise that the only thing available was a van at $80 plus a day.  NOT HAPPENING.  So I tried to log on once we got the airport and search through USAA and Orbitz.  I couldn't connect in the PHX airport so waited until we got to Dallas.  Most of you know I stress easily and not having the car set in stone this close to arrival had my stress level up, but I knew in all reality everything would work out.  Once we were in Dallas and found our connecting flight I was able to get onto Orbitz, the USAA website was taking way too long to load, but Orbitz said they had compact cars all the way up to vans availible through Enterprise.  I thought this was slightly odd but went with the compact car anway.  After landing in Killeen we went to the rental area and checked in to get our car.  The guy looked at us puzzled and said, "We don't have any compacts available."  After a bit of discussion, we got the next size up and were on our way.  Advice for the futre.  They may tell you on the phone or on their website they are out of cars, but they always set aside cars for their partners like Orbitz!  An hour or so later we arrived at Nanna's house.
As always this is a warm and relaxing visit.  Nanna and Collin went to the store and she of course spoiled Audrey with new toys, and a day or two later we found Audrey's Anna trick or treat costume.  Being only a day or two away from Halloween, I didn't think we would still find one.  There were several Elsa's out there at the Church trunk or treat but only 1 Anna!  Audrey still doesn't understand the concept of trick or treating yet but in all honesty that is ok with me.  She will either start enjoying it in a year or two or she won't.   At Nanna and Bill's we found Duck Dynasty wine and of course HAD to try it.  It wasn't bad, I enjoyed mine and Collin said his was good as well.  Unfortunately Audrey still wasn't adjusted, I don't think we really were either and she was up several nights all night long.  Audrey was not the nice little princess she usually is.  On our last full day Nanna and I went and got our hair done, mine was a cut and straightened and Nanna was color.  It was Halloween and all the hairdressers were all dressed up.  Saturday came and by 5am we were awoken by a knock on our door.  My alarm never went off and Nanna came to the rescue.  We were soon off for an early flight to Florida.

Well Audrey has gotten awake so I guess I will finish telling you all about the last part of my trip later.  Time to get her some toast and try to call some family.  Hope you all are having a great week.  I will try to get the rest of the trip up before I go to bed tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment